What is Laser Eye Surgery?

If you have had problems with your eyesight then there is every likelihood that this has been the case since you were a child. The majority of people with poor eyesight get diagnosed when they are children. This is, of course, a positive thing. It stops children from falling behind in school and it stops the condition from worsening.

Also, it means that by adulthood, a person has gotten so used to having to wear glasses (and later, contact lenses), that it is second nature. This, though, is not necessarily a good thing.

When you think about modern technology, and laser surgery, then it seems a pity that someone might neglect to even so much as consider the benefits of having perfect vision, because they simply don’t mind having poor eyesight because they can’t ever remember it being any different.

The fact of the matter is, though, that laser eye surgery is improving thousands of people’s lives every day. In fact, the first remark most people make after having laser eye surgery is ‘I wish I had got it done sooner.’

So what exactly does laser surgery entail?’

Laser eye surgery is a procedure that is used to correct both short sightedness and long sightedness, as well as astigmatism (a refractive error of the eye were rays of light do not converge on one single focal point). A modern addition to the range of laser surgery’s impact is its ability to cure presbyobia, which is the medical term for the condition that causes people to require reading glasses. Previously, people who had been treated for laser eye surgery would still require reading glasses, but with modern advancements in the treatment, this is no longer the case.

Many people, prior to consultation, are concerned about how safe laser eye surgery is, and how effective it is, also. In terms of safeness, laser eye surgery is one of the safest procedures an individual can undergo. It is no more dangerous a procedure, for instance, than giving blood.

In terms of the efficacy of laser eye treatment, the results are really quite astounding. Out of all the people that receive laser eye surgery, more than 90% achieve perfect 20/20 vision (the standard of vision that people have if they do not require glasses). Of the other 10%, almost all are left with a clarity of vision that does not necessitate the use of glasses.

During the laser eye surgery process, pulses of light are used to reshape the area at the front of the eye known as the cornea. In reshaping the cornea, the ideal shape is created for the eye to be able to focus correctly. Essentially this reshaping corrects the defect that was there in the first place, and returns the eye to the shape it would be, were a person not required to wear glasses. Each patient’s procedure is specific to their own personal needs, which is why a full and thorough consultation must be undergone, before anyone is allowed to receive laser eye surgery treatment.

Related Posts :

Garima is the founder of LoveTheTips.com, a UK based blog offering most useful tips on the topics you love to know more about. She enjoys travelling, blogging and spending time with her 6 year old daughter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *